[Gllug] Not linux, yet, but Risc OS

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon Jul 16 11:06:41 UTC 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 matthew at thenut.demon.co.uk wrote:

> In attempting to install Linux on my Risc PC I am stuck at the point of
> trying to get the files to kickstart the installation on the Risc PC
> itself.
>
> I do not have a NIC for it and am unlikely to as they cost a small
> fortune (the story is the same with my Amiga, unfortunately), so I am
> looking at file transfer methods using my serial cable (in fact I have
> two - one for the Amiga when I get it back out of the cupboard)
>
> Does anyone have any knowledge of installing PPP over a null-modem cable
> on (Debian) Linux and Risc OS?

I know nothing about RISC OS, and I don't use Debian, but PPP-over-serial is
so easy it's almost trivial on Linux.  Something like this:

pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 local noauth :192.168.2.4

Will bring up PPP over /dev/ttyS0 at 115200 baud, not try to authenticate.
and assign the IP address 192.168.2.4 to the other end.  You could also put
the options in the PPP options file (/etc/ppp/options) or in a peer file -
see the pppd man page for options.

> Alternatively, how can I transfer files over said cable?

sz/rz?  I use it all the time with my iPAQ.  I would be shocked if there was
no half-decent Z-modem implementation for RISC OS.

> Cheers
>
> Matthew

Cheers
Richard