[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 21:57:41 UTC 2001

 --- Tom Gilbert <tom at linuxbrit.co.uk> wrote: > * William Palfreman
(william at palfreman.com) wrote:
> > so people can be forced to incriminate themselves (or go to jail)
>
> I'm sorry, but this is such a bullshit sentence.
>
> Either you are forced to reveal you have broken the law (i.e you have
> indulged in an illegal activity) or you show that you aren't hiding
> anything illegal.

This is also BS, what happened to the right to remain silent? what
about the right outlined in the Human rights act to not incriminate
your self?

> There's nothing wrong (IMO) with criminals being forced to
> incriminate
> themselves, and by definition innocent people can't incriminate
> themselves because they haven't done anything wrong.

Its all about the right to remain silent and innocent till proven
guilty!

> It's all very well saying "but the government could frame you", but
> that's just paranoia and conspiracy theorism.

is it now? what happens if there is a good chance you will nock the
government out of office? surely they can use the law enforcement
forces to get all your encrypted data, not as far fetched as you may
thing. Just think back to the 30's in a country not that far away!

> I encrypt sensitive mails using gpg, but you can be damn sure I'd
> give
> up the key if someone suspected me of doing something dodgy - I would
> _want_ to show I wasn't breaking the law.

ooh, you would provide a good target for the application of information
theory. If you only encrypt sensitive data it can be seen that the
information that is encrypted is of some sensitive nature and through
coralation of time, destination etc... you can get all sorts of info!

Remember, knowledge is information with context. You are providing the
information in the form of the encrypted email, they are applying
context by knowing you are only encrypting certain emails!

> In my opinion, total freedom is anarchy, and you have to compromise
> (just as with security). I would gladly give up a teeny bit of my
> personal freedom to live in a country/world where paedophiles went to
> jail and people who blow up shopping precincts to prove politic
> points
> rot too.

I beleive Winston Churchill said "Demoncracy is an appalling system of
overnment, but its 7 times better than anything else"

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk