[Gllug] Editors

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 22:19:50 UTC 2001

* Simon Bunker (sibunks at hotmail.com) wrote:

> > This is an argument against the RIP act, and I agree with you, it sucks
> > that they can ask for any data with no reason, but I still stand by two
> > points.
> >
> > a) If the authorities do ask for your data, and you have done nothing
> > illegal, what is the problem?
>
> I have a problem with anything that makes most peoples data unsecure - so
> sure criminals etc might use encryption, but if it was made illegal (OK not
> exactly what RIP does) it's not like that would stop them - it just means
> everyone else loses out - just look at the stupid position the US is in with
> it's cryptography export laws - and how lots of smaller countries outside
> the states are exploiting this to move much further ahead.

You have got it way wrong. RIP doesn't make encrypted data illegal,
encryption is not illegal due to the act. The RIP act says the
government can ask you for the key, and lock you up if you don't give
it.

The only problem I have with the act is that it is't explicit enough
about having established some level of guilt _first_.

> I'd loveto try out Freenet, but I dread to think what the RIP would say
> about that - is there deniability there?

Do you know what freenet is? It's not about encryption, it's just
anonymous file sharing.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |