[Gllug] A programming question. long.

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Sun Jul 8 19:42:05 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 03:16:06PM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
> I didn't say it made the database faster (although in some cases it would),
> it makes the system perform better. If you want a sorted result, for
> example, you don't have the result set returned to you and sort it yourself,
> you ask the db to do it - it's faster. If you want to see rows which aren't
> being 'dealt with' (in your example), you use a where clause, you don't have
> the whole set returned to you. Etcetera.

I missed that - that's a basic misunderstanding of database servers and
triggers/views.  You don't need triggers for sorting and it certainly
doesn't boost performance.  By passing your SQL statement to the server
you pass the load to the server.  Placing a WHERE clause in the SQL
statement passed to the server is completely sufficient.  Creating a
view based on a SELECT...WHERE statement offers no performance gain.

The reason to create such a view would be to restrict the records
returned to the client.

--
Bruce

A problem shared gives the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.