[Gllug] Virtual IP addresses on a Linux box

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jul 9 13:24:15 UTC 2001

On 09 Jul 2001 14:03:51 +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > I've never noticed much of a performance degredation, and I've been
> > doing virtual IP addresses by the /24 using the 'old' way (ifconfig
> > eth0:something), rather than the new way (ip addr add ... dev eth0).
>
> > If anything, I'd expect the new way to be faster, but that's simply a
> > gut feeling.
>
> Don't know about that but ip (as in /sbin/ip) is a lovely tool;)

Absolutely... Given that it'll understand CIDR '/' notation, it's a real
blessing. It also handles multiple addressing, and multiple addressing
schemes, considerably better. And handles tunnels sanely. And makes the
tea.

I've no doubt that it's friend, tc, is just as nice to use, but
unfortunately:
a) my brain leaks through my ears when I try to understand it.
b) from what I understand, it's not as useful if you only control one
end of you narrowest link (ie, the modem, or DSL line).

Otherwise I'd try using it to prioritise half-life packets over boring
HTTP ones.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk