[Gllug] Website developement

Dean S Wilson dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Sun Jul 15 17:21:49 UTC 2001

---- Original Message -----
From: "David Freeman" <freemadi at yahoo.co.uk>

> Was C based on B or BCPL? and wasn't that in turn based on a
language
> beginining with A (ada pos?) I think it was the weird varibles with
> things like $%&£@ etc... appering so much which confused me.

The $ variables can be awkward. Some of them are depreciated and some
are seriously esoteric, $[ (1) is a good example of something that
should never see the light of day. Some of them like $. (2) are just
nice shortcuts that make your life easier once you know them. Its just
one of the Perl Idioms.

While your picking up the language it might help to use the English
module ("use English;") which gives them nice more mnemonic names.
$( becomes $REAL_GROUP_ID for example. You can get a list of them
under perldoc perlvar.

> Oops, subtle way of saying I post to much:o) Sorry if I have being
> opsting alot recently.

Not at all, anyone on the list will tell you I don't do subtle, if I
think your load testing the list serv I'll say so. Loudly and
frequently. :)

I know how busy I've been in work by how many GLLUG posts I make, its
better than a timesheet.

    Dean
1: Sets the starting index for arrays and substrings. DO NOT USE!!!
Unless trying to annoy people ;)
2: The line number if the last filehandle read from.
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand.
   ---  Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk