[Gllug] Virtual IP addresses on a Linux box

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jul 9 15:52:33 UTC 2001

On 09 Jul 2001 15:03:14 +0200, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> Oooh How exciting!  New config methods. :-)
>
> I am still using the ?old? eth:0... way
>
> I have not heard of the ip addr add ... dev eth0 method, do you have the
> commands, man page, web url ?

On RH7.1, the package is iproute, runs with 2.2 and 2.4 kernels.

You can probably find the tarball on www.kernel.org somewhere. Contains
the programs:

[root at dave /root]# rpm -qlf /sbin/ip | grep bin
/sbin/ifcfg
/sbin/ip
/sbin/rtmon
/sbin/tc
/usr/sbin/rtacct

Blurb reads:

[root at dave /root]# rpm -qif /sbin/ip
[SNIP]
Description :
Linux 2.2 maintains compatibility with the basic configuration utilities
of
the network (ifconfig, route) but a new utility is required to exploit
the new
characteristics and features of the kernel. This package includes the
new
utilities (/sbin/ip, /sbin/rtmon).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk