[Gllug] content

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 23:15:17 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Simon Bunker <sibunks at hotmail.com>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 2:48 AM
Subject: : [Gllug] content

> Why is it that most Linux screen shots on the net have 3 million windows
on
> them? (OK slight exageration ;o) when most of the GUI's give extra virtual
> desktops. Is it just that no one uses them or that all of them look like
> that! Does anyone else use these much? I don't see it as much of an
> advantage, unless you have two monitors with one on each. Or I might put
> some downloads on another to hide it - I have never had to use all 4 (or
8)
> though.
>
> Can anyone thing of a useful task for them or is it just yet another
> gimmick?

well, personally i use about 4 or so,

1st desktop is for audio stuff, so xmms, mixer, etc.

2nd desktop has log manager, apache errors, syslog etc.
3rd desktop has my editors in it (usually 4 or so instances of vim)
4th desktop has usually man pages and lots of terminal sessions
and 5th tends to have netscape/mozzilla for testing the app i'm writing
usually an instance of netscape and mozilla each with a couple of browsers
open.
if i use a fith its for general internet stuff like ymessenger and irc, etc
and general browsing

It works for me, i find hitting the desktop i want easier than searching
through windows on the task bar.  When I've got two heads on i have editors
in the nicest looking of the two an either test app or man page/tutorial etc
in the second.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk