[Gllug] Website developement

Dean S Wilson dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Sun Jul 15 15:44:51 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nix" <nix at esperi.demon.co.uk>

Cool, another language Jihad! And i didn't even start this one ;)

I wonder if i paste my replies to the last thread like this anyone
will notice...

>>> its a write only language! Horibble! Give me C or Java or LISP any
day!

The write only aspect is a nice myth from the days of yore, yes bad
code gets written, no its not the languages fault. If i write Java in
a functional or procedural style is that an issue with the language or
my knowledge and application of it?

And if you really want to be picky then why not use Inline::C or
Inline::Java? :)

>> Perl is higher level than both C and Java, probably also Lisp

Most languages have a niche of what they are best at, use the one that
suits. Being high level is nice but as an example have a look at the
differences between the Perl, Python and Ruby OLE extensions, they are
all high level languages but the Python one seems a lot easier to use.

> So do many Lisp implementations. (Perl's extensions system *is*
good,
> though.)

It needs some work done on the QA aspect and maybe some kind of
digital signing of modules would be usefull to verify that its what
the author wrote. I just dread the day that someone breaks into cpan
and screws with the modules. it is however years ahead of its
competition...

>> And, Perl 6 will rock. Don't cuss it until you've realised you're
wrong :P

Perl 6 will be Perl with more of Conway's input. If thats a good thing
or not i'll leave up to the audience :)

> Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. I'm sure Skud and
the
> rest of the language design people will try hard to ensure that it
will
> rock, but you can't *know* that until after it's released.

Agreed, and by the time that happens who knows what the alternatives
will be.

    Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand.
   ---  Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk