[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 16:11:16 UTC 2001

 --- Tom Gilbert <tom at linuxbrit.co.uk> wrote: > * Kieran Barry
(kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> the
> enforcement
> you may
> away!
> > >
> > > Conspiracy theories. Boring.
> >
> > You are so naive, it's amazing.
>
> Thanks for the troll.
>
> > Read up on the Birmingham Six. Read about the "appalling vista"
> > judgement by Denning. (The suspects were covered in bruises. Prison
> > officers were charged with assault. They were acquited. This meant
> that
> > the convicted "murderers" must have been assaulted by the police.
> When
> > proceedings got to Denning, Master of the Rolls, head of the appeal
> > court, he said that it was so embarassing, he wouldn't allow the
> case to
> > be heard. 15 or so years later, he said they should have been
> hanged to
> > avoid the hassle. Forensic tests proved that the "confessions" were
> not
> > records of interviews, but composed out of order by the police.)
>
> I know all about that stuff. All this is saying is that we need to
> police the police. Fine, I don't argue with that. What it has to do
> with
> encrypted data is beyond me.

It what the police do with data which has been decrypted thats the
problem

> > What happens if a police officer comes in following a laptop theft.
> In
> > the lift, you make a joke that he thinks takes the piss. He
> > asks you to examine all files on all backups. (This is
> unreasonable, but
> > in the context of the police suggesting that everyone make 7 years'
> > logs available, not impossible.) Kiddie Porn is found in
> /usr/local. Is
> > this what you want?
>
> Do you think I'm stupid? I don't give accounts to anyone who would do
> such a thing, ever.

But how do you know they are? I would bet there is probably one person
on this list into that sort of thing.

> > Have you or any of your friends ever bought illegal drugs? If you
> have
> > nothing to hide, please make available details of every financial
> > transaction over UKP1 in value for the last ten years.
> >
> > Do you have any pirate software on your boxes? BSA need to audit
> you.
> > And they'd like to install daemons (which are probably insecure) to
>
> > log which files are copied to your hard disk.
> >
> > Remember, anyone who objects must have something to hide...
> >
> > If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear...
>
> I don't think every financial transaction over UKP1 I have made is
> any
> use to anyone, and frankly, with loyalty cards and customer tracking
> most of it's out there anyway. What the hell do I care?

This is why I don't have a loyalty card.

> Of course I don't have pirated software on my boxes. I run linux.

Good.

> I'm not advocating big brother here. As I've been saying throughout
> this
> ability to see the contents of encrypted partitions when there is
> suspicion (and some body of proof) that someone has been involved in
> illegal activity, because otherwise that encrypted partition lets you
> literally get away with murder.

But, If I lock something in a safe and forget the combination? same
thing.

> I have also said that the RIP act is slightly ambiguous and needs to
> be
> cleaned up, but I do strongly feel that it or something like it is
> required.

No we don't attack the cause not the symtoms.

> The idea that the police can (with a warrant) search your pockets,
> search your house, run forensic tests on the boot of your car, but
> not
> see what's on your hard disk is stupid and indefensible and that has
> been my point all along. Of course, as usual, out come the total
> freedom
> nuts and it all goes to pot =D

Total freedom nut, I like it.

Thanks