Fw: [Gllug] Libretto

Richard Clamp richardc at unixbeard.net
Sun Jul 15 00:09:00 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 08:50:04PM +0100, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:24:54 +0100, Richard Clamp <richardc at unixbeard.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 06:03:30PM +0100, Andy Smith wrote:
> >> What is wrong with upgrading RPMs from the command line?
> >
> >Nothing.  Hunting down all the updated rpms you need to keep your
> >system tight, and their dependencies, can start to really suck though.
>
> That was NOT my point, the original poster seemed to believe this was
> impossible and that reinstall from scratch was the only method.

Whoa there Tex.  You seem to have made been a much more complex point
than the one I understood from your post.  I'm glad you've restated it
though, since I thought you actually meant "What is wrong with
upgrading RPMs from the command line?" to which my answer is still
"Nothing."

The rest of my post covers why I think people prefer to use something
like apt-get, as the poster you were responding to seems to.

> There's a difference between not liking RPM, and not knowing how to use it,
> and I am not trying to advocate it over anything else.

I don't see where this is coming from, I don't think the John is
ignorant of how to drive rpm -U, he's just saying it could be easier,
and I tend to agree.

Personally I've had good experience upgrading/maintaining Mandrake
boxen with urpmi.  I find something apt-ish can make your day so much
easier.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk