[Gllug] two heads better than one?

bredroll bredroll at atari.org
Sun Jul 15 20:19:18 UTC 2001

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, David Freeman wrote:

> Is there a howto or manual for doing this? Also If I put in a old 2MB
> PCI graphics card could I then have a 3rd montor set up as a console
> only?

Yes plenty of howtos. just browse linux.com and look through the LDP
secion, you will find some howtos for xinerama and such

> > svgalibs new versions allow you to use multihead systems. bit
> > complicated
> > tho.
>
> Sounds cool, I can have rear view monitors in the flight sims :o)

yup. if a game ever supported things like that :-)

> > i have 2 s3 virge cards. i use xinerama and i can ctrl alt fx out to
> > play
> > quake2/squake on the primary card.
>
> Cool, how much ram does the s3 cards have? Also do you need identical
> cards?

the s3s are old, 4mb each, i run easily 1280x1024 on both giving me a nice
2560x1024 desktop. :-) the cards dont need to be the same, or even same
bus (can be agp or pci or isa) as long as they do not cause resource
conflicts. some mainboards dont like multiple cards but newer ones are ok

> So to use openGl via mesa I wouldn't be able to run xinirama?

well dri would go crazy trying to talk to 2 'different' cards at once and
share ram between them ,

you can however have multihead dri with the g400 card i think (i card with
2 outputs)

> If I run two seperate X servers like that how would the single keyboard
> and mouse work?

once you configure the cards in /etc/X11/XF86Config with thier pci ids
(run scanpci) and drivers then when you do startx both cards will be
run. your mouse can move freely between the screens but you cant drag
windows between them like you can in xinerama.

> Also how would I deal with a BTTV card? could I run one monitor as a TV
> and another as a computer monitor?

yes you can do this, a way i thought of was to use fbtv (framebuffer tv
thing) and give it command line options to use /dev/fb2 (card 3)

> <fx action="adds up bank balance in octal to see if I can afford a new
> monitor as well?">

hehe.

> Thanks

no prob