[Gllug] Website developement

Stig Brautaset stig at brautaset.org
Sun Jul 15 18:58:11 UTC 2001

David Freeman <freemadi at yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> > A lot of the languages that we hear about on a daily basis are
> > based around a C like syntax. Java, Perl, PHP, C and numerous
> > others all get their basic statements and constructs from the same
> > place, I don't really see why you'd have so many issues with Perl
> > if you do C or Java for example. The only problems I can see are
> > the default variables but if you don't like those do it
> > explicitly.
>
> Was C based on B or BCPL? and wasn't that in turn based on a
> language beginining with A (ada pos?) I think it was the weird
> varibles with things like $%&£@ etc... appering so much which
> confused me.

C has taken many of its ideas from BCPL, both directly and indirectly
through B, which also has ideas and constructs from BCPL[1][2].

[1] - taken from the introduction in K&R2.
[2] - For this reason, it was argued that C++ should be called P, the
      next letter in BCPL.  I do not remember where I heard this
      argument.

Cheers, Stig
--
 19:47:55 up 21:28,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk