[Gllug] sms-to-email

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Fri Jul 20 11:43:14 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 12:36:35PM +0100, will uttered:

> lycos seem to have tightened up the use of this service.  They now present
> you with an image of a two or three digit (I forget exactly which) number
> that has been dynamically generated and you have to read and manually enter
> this into a form element on the next page.  I was thinking about trying to
> write a perl script to read the image and try and recognise the characters,
> but I haven't had time yet :-(

There are a stack of Perl and other hacks out there that use other SMS
gateways for this purpose.  Try searching for SMS on freshmeat.  Of
course I wouldn't want to rely on any of these things for critical
stuff like alarming.

Orange has an email->SMS gateway but it only sends the subject line
to the phone.  It's designed as notification of new mail for their
web-based (or WAP if you have money to burn and patience) email
system.  Of course I don't use the web-based email so sending an email
to simon+sms at rumble.net with the appropriate subject goes to my
phone.  All for free.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>