[Gllug] Ethernetworking

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Jul 17 16:32:30 UTC 2001

>Am I right in thinking that to network two machines over ethernet I just
>need a "crossed over" cable?
>But to link more than two I need either an ethernet "hub" or to have one
>machine with multiple ethernet cards?

Yes and no. In the olden days, network cables came in different
varieties, the two most common of which were 10base2 and 10baseT.

10base2 was basically a piece of coaxial cable, like a TV aerial.
The cable is connected to your computer using a T-piece with BNC
connectors (the push and twist type). With 10base2, you just add
an extra machine by taking a cable from  the T-piece of one of the
machines to the new machine.

However, virtually no-one uses 10base2 any more, and the world
has standardised on 10baseT (and 100baseT, but that's just a
faster version of the same thing).

With 10baseT, yes, you need a hub to connect more than 2 machines
together. Literally, jsut plug the hub in, connect each machine
to the hub, and you're in business (so long as you've got your IP
addresses set up right).

You said you have an old card, so I don't know which type it'll be
(some even had both types).

>How much are these hubs? (Is this the proper name for them?)

Yes, it is. RL Supplies (http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk) have an 8-port
hub for 19 quid. Their web site also has some pictures of 10base2 BNC
connectors, so you know what to look for). Incidentally, I'd recommend
RL Supplies for cheap hardware. They seem to be occupying the niche
that Scan used to before they got too big.

Hope that helps.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk