[Gllug] Error 13

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Mon Jul 16 14:38:40 UTC 2001

Hi all

	Does anyone have any idea why I am getting this fault when I try to
drop a table using mysql. I imagine it has something to do with permissions.
The Manual

mysql> drop table remedy_harry.granite_base;
ERROR 6: Error on delete of '.\remedy_harry\granite_base.MYI' (Errcode: 13)

The only thing I have found on it in the manual is this but I am not doing
anything with files.

21.11 Problems with File Permissions
If you have problems with file permissions, for example, if mysql issues the
following error message when you create a table:
ERROR: Can't find file: 'path/with/filename.frm' (Errcode: 13)
then the environment variable UMASK might be set incorrectly when mysqld
starts up. The default umask value is 0660. You can change this behavior by
starting safe_mysqld as follows:
shell> UMASK=384  # = 600 in octal
shell> export UMASK
shell> /path/to/safe_mysqld &
By default MySQL will create database and RAID directories with permission
type 0700. You can modify this behavior by setting the UMASK_DIR variable.
If you set this, new directories are created with the combined UMASK and
UMASK_DIR. For example, if you want to give group access to all new
directories, you can do:
shell> UMASK_DIR=504  # = 770 in octal
shell> export UMASK_DIR
shell> /path/to/safe_mysqld &
In MySQL Version 3.23.25 and above, MySQL assumes that the value for UMASK
and UMASK_DIR is in octal if it starts with a zero.
See section A Environment Variables

Regards;
Harry Jackson.

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk