[Gllug] A programming question. long.

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Sun Jul 8 18:19:39 UTC 2001

* Bruce Richardson (brichardson at lineone.net) wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 03:16:06PM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
> > >On what grounds is it a bad habit?
> >
> > On the grounds that the database is not aware of the context in which a
> > transaction happens; it is just a filestore.
>
> Not if you put the business logic in there, it isn't.  Your's is a
> circular argument.

Both are =D

The important thing is that where ever your put your business logic,
you put it all in the same place.

Having a bit here, a bit there is what leads to problems in maintaining,
expanding and debugging your applications. Preventing this is what
tiered development is all about.

However, taking it as read that it makes more sense to put your business
logic in one place, I always avoid putting it in a datastore - whatever
inbuilt functionality your store gives you, it will never be enough for
any reasonably complicated problem set IMO.

In fact, the datastore is something I always abstract away, not build
onto.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |