[Gllug] A programming question. long.

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Sun Jul 8 19:55:02 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 07:19:39PM +0100, Tom Gilbert wrote:
> However, taking it as read that it makes more sense to put your business
> logic in one place, I always avoid putting it in a datastore - whatever
> inbuilt functionality your store gives you, it will never be enough for
> any reasonably complicated problem set IMO.

Pragmatism always wins over theory - what's achievable is ususally the
deciding factor.  But sometimes it's a question of data ownership and/or
security.  If you, the application coder, don't own the data and can't
guarantee to be the only route to it then the database developer simply
can't leave authentification and data integrity in your hands.

I maintain a set of data where I am not the only person writing
applications to access it.  I do web applications but my colleagues
write VB or Access front-ends.  Users may be on our internal network or
dialling in, using a web app or running a VB front-end in a terminal
services session.  (This isn't as chaotic as it sounds: each application
has it's own core data but some datasets must be accessible to all,
while the range of different application types is dictated by the
widely-differing technical situations of our users).

Given that, authentification and core business rules absolutely have to
be in the database.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?