[Gllug] 2.4.6 non-SMP compile

William Palfreman william at apoapsis.com
Fri Jul 13 17:03:53 UTC 2001

John - why don't you get a fresh kernel tarball from ftp.uk.kernel.org
and untar it in you home directory?  then you have something like
/home/john/linux and at least you know you have good source code.

cd into it and read README!  You oldtimers never do.  Doesn't say anything
about make clean, does say to do make mrproper.  Doesn't say anything
about /usr/src/linux anymore either :-)

make xconfig # its easier to have it all visually in front of you IMO.
make dep; make bzImage; make modules
su
make modules_install; cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage246
vi /etc/lilo.conf
lilo

Talk about teaching you grandmother to suck eggs!  I'm sure it would work
if you did it the way README says :-)  Also, the file (& dir!) you mention
below doesn't exist on my system running 2.4.6 without SMP.

Regards,
Bill.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk