[Gllug] Duel booting the saga continues

George F. Saxby george at gogointernet.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 17:11:43 UTC 2001

On Friday 13 July 2001 10:10, your missive said : -
 > On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 07:53:33PM +0100, George F. Saxby wrote:
 > >  well a pal came down and took a look,decided he did not like the
 > > graphical lilo as it masked the problem well he thought so anyway.
 >
 > Hmmm...
 >
 > >  He put an old kernel on a boot floppy pointed it at the / partition lo
 > > it works (well apart from loads of failed bit because the poor thing is
 > > trying to run 2 different kernels ). The old one is 2.2.16 or some such
 > > the new one is 2.4.2boot .
 > > 	Anyone care to suggest why 2.4 cannot handle what 2.2 can? theories ,
 > > wild ideas?
 >
 > Put the 2.4 kernel on the floppy and boot from that - when that doesn't
 > work, then blame the kernel.>

 er that is why he put the old 2.2.-????  on the 2.4.2-2boot  labled kernel
did not work. Mind you the end boot suggests that this is wrong anyway BUT
there was no other Kernel on the hard disk.

	Having spent far too long on this I tried Dead Rat 7.1 instead the set up
being
 hda1 = windoze 98  c drive on primary
hda2 = / dh7.1 (primary)
hda3 =dh /home (primary)
hda4 is ext part
hda5 = swap
hda6= doze part d drive logical

the boot disk points at /dev/hda2 and it boots fine booting from the h/d get
the dh splash asking dos or linux go liluv and it will run vmlinuz and back
to splash go dos and windows works fine.

	I wish I knew how to copy the floppy "go faster bits" that work to the hard
disk  then maybe it would work.

--
cu
george