[Gllug] NTFS fix under DOS

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 12:50:40 UTC 2001

You are are a nutter to run such stuff - find another solution - there
will be one.  I am running Linux in a full M$ shop and after eight
months all of the w2k techies have now tried Linux.  I had to fight for
my Linux desktop, it was worth it.

Linux came in the back door and management are now seeing that I running
  in excess of 40 servers by myself have not had one fall over, while 8
M$ techies only crashed 2 of their 58 servers yesterday.  Oh and virii
yep I love receiving those.

Linux is a better fix for the data, in addition you get to back it up
before doing anything further :-)

Otherwise compile a kernel with NTFS support, copy the data off.  I will
be surprised if Linux does not see it.  (I solved similar problems here
for the windowsheads on w2k)  Then format the drive, don't forget about
the 2GB limitation on their crappy OS and copy the data back before
re-install.

Here's hoping you junk the windows gumph :-)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk