[Gllug] KDE or Gnome

john.hearns at framestore.co.uk john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 10:03:28 UTC 2001

Nathan Matthews wrote:

> I've been looking with interest at the recent KDE developments.  Javascript
> with konqueror, CSS, kparts etc, but I haven't been keeping up to date with
> the gnome developments.  Whats new in gnome and whats peoples personal
> experience with the two desktops?  I dont want to start a religous flame war
> but am genuinely interested to know if its worth going to the trouble of
> switching to gnome.

I've taken to using the Ximian desktop on my machine at work.
I own up to quite liking it - the software update channels are, IMHO,
very useful for a company environment.
Simply click on the System/Get Software menu item, and it goes off to
get a list of availabel updates. Works through a proxy fine too.
Evolution shows a lot of promise as an email/idary/contacts manager
etc., though I own up to not using it very much.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk