crypto was Re: [Gllug] Editors

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 10:45:41 UTC 2001

tricky to quote when replying to so much ...

so I won't ! (quote)

what is it with this argument of "if you are inocent, what have you got
to hide?"

Who's innocent ? - I've certainly broken a few laws - surely most people
have commited one of these crimes ..
taken illegal drugs, pilfered material from work, broken copyright...

even pornography wich is illeagal in this country mostly falls well
short of child-porn...

Also I happen to know people who spent time in prison (months) before
being found not-guilty - peace capmaigners and groups like amnesty are
important advocates of this sort of encryption.

I remember a while ago reading how amnesty use steganography to move
stories of human rights abuse in countries which have made encryption
illegal.

If the indivual does not have rights to privacy, there is little
protection from the abuses of the state for anyone.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk