[Gllug] Editors

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Sun Jul 29 17:47:52 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 06:17:49PM +0100, Tom Gilbert wrote:
> Fine. It's just that I can see the need to protect data from your mate
> down the pub borrowing your laptop, but I cannot see the need to "deny
> the higher levels on a StegFS" from the authorities unless you are doing
> something illegal.

That's your problem.  Why should anybody be forced to give up private
data when there is no evidence of criminal activity?  As the law stands
now the authorities can demand acces to any encrypted data without
needing any reason or any kind of warrant.  Failure to provide access is
a crime in itself.

This gives the authorities power to invade personal privacy in the most
oppressive manner and is ripe for abuse.  The fact that it may not be
being abused now is no guarantee that it will not be abused in the
future.

--
Bruce

A problem shared brings the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.