[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 17:31:59 UTC 2001

 --- Tom Gilbert <tom at linuxbrit.co.uk> wrote: > * David Freeman
(freemadi at yahoo.co.uk) wrote:
> >  --- Tom Gilbert <tom at linuxbrit.co.uk> wrote: > * David Freeman
> > (freemadi at yahoo.co.uk) wrote:
> > >
> > > Uh. To the authorities, when you are suspected of certain illegal
> > > activities. Sheesh, are we talking child porn or a letter to your
> > > bank
> > > manager here?
> >
> > Neither, we are talking merely the presence of encrypted data on my
> > HDD. If its there then there is the problem of having to give the
> pass
> > phrase over. I would rather be able to deny the higher levels on a
> > StegFS.
> >
> > Just for the record, I am not doing anything which is Illegal, I am
> > just paranoid.
>
> Fine. It's just that I can see the need to protect data from your
> mate
> down the pub borrowing your laptop, but I cannot see the need to
> "deny
> the higher levels on a StegFS" from the authorities unless you are
> doing
> something illegal.

I can agree to an extent. However I do not beleive that there is any
need to give the key to the authorities on any account. Purely on the
basis of my basic human right "To not incrimante my self". I am not
with holding evidence, they have the evidence, just cos they cant
decrypt this is there fault.

As for the me doing nothing illegal, so why should I worry. Well nor
was Jon johanson (I think thats how it is spelt) when he wrote DeCSS,
nor was Dymitry Skylarov. Just cos I ain't doing anything illegal
doesn't mean I am immune to it all. Remember who it is who runs the
coutry next time you ask these questions. I can tell you now it ain't
Blair!

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk