[Gllug] starting X

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 14:51:24 UTC 2001

Alex Hudson wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Mark Preston wrote:
>
> > If I type "df" I get the following output:-
> > Filesystem       1k-blocks     Used   Available   Use%   Mounted on
> > /dev/hda6          256667     254989         0        100%        /
>
> I would suggest this is A problem, if not THE problem :)
>
> Check /tmp, and (probably) empty out all the crap in there. You ain't
> gonna get very far otherwise :)

Indeed, this is probably the root cause of your problem.

The exact problem is that the X font server is failing to start when you
boot, and thus, when you start X, the X server cannot open the default
font "fixed". Your X log shows you this. The fact the the font server is
not running is also the cause of your error shutting down xfs.

When the font server starts up it creates a socket in /tmp, IIRR. This
is probably failing as your root partition is full...

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk