[Gllug] Compiling/rpms

Walid Shaari walidshaari at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 15:28:51 UTC 2001

We do compile almost all of our packages from source, but we use checkinstall
to make an RPM so that we can port it to another server without the need for
compiling it again
check out Checkinstall in FreshMeat!

 --- tet at accucard.com wrote: >
> >What do people think are the relative merits of compiling from tar.gz
> >source code against installing from an rpm (or debian equivalent)?
>
> Compile it yourself. RPMs, debs and the like are great for distributors,
> but as soon as you mix in packages from third party sources, the only
> outcome is going to be dependency hell. My view is that if the packages
> all come from the same source (e.g., official updates from the vendor),
> then use the package. Otherwise, compile from source.
>
> Tet
>
> --

=====

walid at melinux.com
http://www.MeLinux.com

"Learn whatever knowledge you wish to acquire, and act upon what you have learned."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk