[Gllug] Demon dial-up problems

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 11:16:34 UTC 2001

Thanks, that would be useful if you could email me the scripts.
I'm using an 0844... number which gives free internet calls at weekends
and evenings for an extra fiver a month I think.

I've found some other Demon-specific information at:

http://www.hopf.demon.co.uk/demon/ppp.html

Ive also been looking into the various login methods.
It seems that in security terms CHAP > PAP > normal script login.
Does Demon use all three?
Apparently an ISP could use more than one authentication protocol, but
it has to offer them in the above order.

With CHAP, after you dial up and the "link is established" (not sure
what this means - perhaps you send your plaintext login name?), the ISP
send you a hashed version of your password. You then reply with a hashed
version of your password. The ISP compares the two and if they are the
same, it logs you on.

With PAP, you send your plaintext login name and password immediately
after dialling up. The ISP checks these and if they are OK, logs you on.

With "normal" script-based logins, after you dial up, the ISP sends you
a string (e.g. login).
Your script waits for this string ("ogin:" is used in case it varies
between "Login" and "login") and then sends your plaintext login.
The ISP then sends a "Password" string, your script replies with your
plaintext password.
Demon then seems to send a "Protocol" string - then you send it "ppp" ?
It checks your password and logs you on.

With PAP and CHAP, pppd sorts out the authentication itself using the
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets files but with normal
login an additional script is required

Is this a fair summary of what goes on? Let us know if not.

I've managed to connect using minicom, so it seems that Demon can use
any of these authentication methods.