[Gllug] simputer

john.hearns at framestore.co.uk john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 13:45:30 UTC 2001

Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:

> It's really going to come into its own when we can tattoo a computer onto each member of staff... still a little way off though. ;-)

Wulf,
I went out to TCR over lunchtime.
Shymatronics have a load of Compaq Aero 8000's for sale,
for 250 quid ex VAT.

Form factor is of a small, thin laptop with an 800x600
screen. Weight is less than three pounds.
They have both a PCMCIA slot and a Compact Flash slot.
Built in modem and touchpad mouse.
Come with WinCE, pocket excel/word and explorer.
Add a wireless card to that and I think you could have
a good platform for your wireless project!

I seem to get the impression that Shymatronics have been
dumped with a job lot of these, or they are coming to end
of line. That might be an advantage - I bet you they would
do a good discount for half-a-dozen.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be much progress in getting
Linux on them.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk