[Gllug] init 0 etc

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 16:16:46 UTC 2001

jim at gonzul.org wrote:
>ctrl-alt-del, wait for a few seconds, stab the power

Linux only processes ctrl-alt-del if inittab is set up to do so (and then
runs shutdown).  You can define in inittab whether shutdown is to do a reboot
or simply shut off the power (assuming an ATX m/board).

Personally, I disable alt-ctrl-del, just in case the cat gets a bit gymnastic,
or someone else tries the three-finger salute to solve an application problem.

I use a very small 'shut' program in C which execs shutdown with the required
parameters. means I can just tell someone to log in on the console and type
'shut' !

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk