[Gllug] mySQL and PHP

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 12:14:54 UTC 2001

Long term it would be best not to have structured data within a single
field, but to "normalise" and perhaps have the data in the Worklog colum
split up into other tables/columns.

Short term I guess you're stuck with the format in the .csv file.
Although once it's in the database you could use SQL scripts to split up
the column, using LEFT, TRIM, SUBSTRING etc (not sure of the exact
syntax for mySQL), either permanently into a normalised table design, or
temporarily for each query.

I've not used php much but I'm sure it would also have functions like
LEFT, TRIM, etc. to do the same processing at the web layer rather than
the database layer.