[Gllug] Duel booting the saga continues

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sat Jul 14 15:24:37 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 06:11:43PM +0100, George F. Saxby wrote:
>  > Put the 2.4 kernel on the floppy and boot from that - when that doesn't
>  > work, then blame the kernel.>
>
>  er that is why he put the old 2.2.-????  on the 2.4.2-2boot  labled kernel
> did not work. Mind you the end boot suggests that this is wrong anyway BUT
> there was no other Kernel on the hard disk.

I don't understand that paragraph at all. From what you said previously, it
seemed you could not boot a 2.4 kernel off the hard drive. Booting 2.2 from
floppy does _not_ prove the 2.4 kernel is at fault...

> the boot disk points at /dev/hda2 and it boots fine booting from the h/d get
> the dh splash asking dos or linux go liluv and it will run vmlinuz and back
> to splash go dos and windows works fine.

What 'boot disk'? Are you saying you're booting from floppy to chain the OS
loader in hda2? What actually happens when you boot Linux?

> 	I wish I knew how to copy the floppy "go faster bits" that work to
> the hard disk then maybe it would work.

I'm not aware of floppies having 'go faster bits' :)

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk