[Gllug] DDR-RAM and new mobos

Simon Stewart sms at digital-science.net
Mon Jul 16 17:16:22 UTC 2001

I getting impatient for the joys of a new computer, especially since
my last one died at the precise momment that I offered to help someone
out with it about a month ago. I've half a gig of lovely DDR-RAM[0][1]
and am now dithering:

Do I wait until more AMD 760-MP mobos come out or the price drops on
the existing one or do I go ahead and buy a single processor mobo?

Do I need SMP? Strictly speaking, no. Do I want SMP? By all that's
holy, yes! Why? Quake 3, experiments in multi-threading, bragging
rights, the ability to run Windows 2000 with Office and still have
some processor time to burn[2], and a smattering of future proofing
(considering that processor speeds are rapdily getting more silly) And
let's not forget the sensation of having a cool new toy :)

Looking at those lame reasons: anyone care to recommend a single
Athlon mobo?

Cheers,

Simon

[0] It was very cheap --- 70 quid for the lot. *shakes head in
    disbelief*
[1] I will, obviously, be running emacs, after all :P
[2] As Tom's Hardware so elegantly put it.

--
It is not my normal practice, however provoked by people droning
on about him, to pronounce distinctly and publicly the words "Oh,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk