[Gllug] Emacs open-new-frame problem.

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Sat Jun 30 16:20:43 UTC 2001

In message <87u20z2bwn.fsf at loki.wkstn.nix>
          Nix <nix at esperi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Rich Walker gibbered:
> > Emacs, KDE, ...
>
> Neither knows about the other, so they should get on famously :)

And I had KDE's "force KDE colours on non-KDE apps" turned on.
Removing that fixed this instance of it.

> > Emacs configured (somehow) to have yellow default text, black
> > background for it. Works in font-lock-mode.
>
> OK. (The configuration is probably done via
>
> (set-face-background 'default "Black")
> (set-face-foreground 'default "Yellow")

custom-set-faces, I think.

> but there are other ways, especially in XEmacs, which has a ludicrous
> degree of (over-)configurability where faces are concerned).

<shudder> But it does work well on a colour TTY!

> > However, opening a new frame results in black background for quite a
> > lot of  text, and white background for the rest. Hugely annoying.
>
> Ah, thank you RMS for `initial-frame-alist' versus
> `default-frame-alist'...

oh. one of those...

> > Anyone got any ideas? I guess it's an inconsistency between the X
> > resources and the .emacs, but I just can't face the necessary hours
> > of poking it...
>
> Not necessarily. In any case, this is easily resolvable.
>
> Try (as a horrible kludge) sticking in
>
> (setq default-frame-alist initial-frame-alist)
>
> --- (disclaimer; at some point, they changed to plists in XEmacs, but I
> can't remember if this happened before or after the Emacs/XEmacs split;
> they may be default-frame-plist and initial-frame-plist in your Emacs.)

Well, removing KDE force colours stopped it this time, but I've had
it happen under non-KDE circumstances (I think I ended up coercing
colours in both the X resources and the emacs config...)

The EMACS motto: Everyone you ask will have another way to do it.
Some will have extra lisp code to make it do it for you.

cheers,Rich.

--
Rich Walker: rw at shadow.org.uk (Shadow Robot Project)
http://www.shadow.org.uk        251 Liverpool Road