[Gllug] Re: [bristol] NFS client for Windows

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 23 11:00:02 UTC 2001

Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> "Rob Levine" <rob_levine at hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a good (free) NFS client for W2K?
>
> nooooo! Use samba on the server. NFS on Windows is, IMHFO, pants.

Indeed. NFS is pretty awful at the best of times, which is when Unix
only is involved, my experience with it on Windows is terrible. Windows
gets confused between NFS and NetBIOS and all sorts of things fail.

I agree, use Samba, it works perfectly. The servers I run at work have
had only two problems since I upgraded them to 2.0.7 last year; one was
caused by me accidentally starting two with the same name, the other was
caused by the NT WINS server.

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk