[Gllug] Fsck Fsck Fsck Fsck Fscking Windows!!!!

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Fri Jun 29 11:44:59 UTC 2001

Just when you think you can't be surprised by how fscking crap bloody
Windows is, you get another sodding surprise!

The dhcp daemon was down this morning.  Shouldn't be a huge problem as
it's on a watchdog list - cfengine checks every few hours and restarts
if necessary (first time it has been necessary, in fact).  But I
hadn't accounted for the unbelievable stupidity that is Windows
networking.  If a windows workstation can't get a dhcp response when
it tries to renew a lease, it doesn't just hang on to its exising ip
address.  No, because that would be *sensible*.  Instead, IT ALLOCATES
ITSELF A TOTALLY RANDOM ADDRESS!!  Not even on the same network, half
the time!!  Actually, it's better when it chooses a different network
- it can be bloody chaos when it chooses the same network.  One
workstation decided to take the DNS server's address and another one
the address of the default gateway!

Have you ever heard anything so fscking STUPID!

If I had a pound for every time I've had this kind of stupid surprise
from Windows I'd have enough coins to fill a very large sock which I
could use to bash Bill Gates' bloody head in.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk