[Gllug] Re: How M$ Will Own The Net

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Fri Jun 22 11:25:55 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 11:22:56AM +0100, john.hearns at framestore.co.uk wrote:
> I 'spose they are technically right-

I would disagree with that, to some extent. If you want to test their
system, you can just edit your /etc/resolv.conf to add 'search new.net'.
Which exposes the inherent flaw in the system - if you have a (visible) tld
which is replicated in a number of nodes in the search hierarchy, the lookup
works based on search order, etc., which is entirely client-dependent
(unless you're getting it from your ISP). So, in one part of the internet
'www.sohorunning.club' would resolve to one thing, but might very well
resolve to something completely different somewhere else.

Plus, the fact that their client reconfigurations are essentially additions
to search lists, that means extra searches for each lookup. Which sucketh,
in my opinion :)

> but the whole thing sends icy fingers running down my spine.

d'accord.

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk