[Gllug] lil' question

Simon Stewart sms at digital-science.net
Thu Jun 28 17:14:10 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 04:50:32PM +0100, Anthony.Leung at ubsw.com wrote:

> I have generated a table of information, about printers. The idea is
> to have a search function that will return rows which contain the
> search item in it, and put this in a web page. Do I romp on with
> vbscript, which I have absolutely no faith in being able to complete
> the task, or is there some really easy way to do it?

It all depends on how your tables are layed out, but it should be
possible to search it using a lovely query along the lines of:

SELECT * FROM printer_table
    WHERE column_name LIKE '%search_term%'

This is a massive simplification of what you could do server side
since it's most effective for a single keyword (unless you can
guarentee ordering of search terms, and even then *shudder*) Frankly,
if you have no faith with VBScript and you have the oppurtunity to use
something else which you trust far more, then I'd be tempted to use
that....

And never trust user supplied data. Even if it comes from one of your
own forms.

> (what *are* these database thingies anyway?)

Clearly fiendishly evil --- all the letters are typed by the left
hand, reducing typing speed and increasing the chances of RSI. :)

Cheers,

Simon

--
It is not my normal practice, however provoked by people droning
on about him, to pronounce distinctly and publicly the words "Oh,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk