[Gllug] Freebies

Vincent AE Scott vince at codex.net
Fri Jun 29 21:06:33 UTC 2001

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Jim Halfpenny wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anyone know where free, obsolete computers can be found? I have been
> trying to find a source of thrown-away computers to refurbish and pass on to
> whoever needs them. Is there a group that does this kind of thing? I think
> there are some people who refurbush machines and donate them to disabled
> people.

hmmmm, for some strange reason, the 2600 crowd spring to mind.  but i dont
think they pass referb's on to the needy, but they certainly do go thru
dumpsters looking for odd's and sods.

> I currently have a SPARCstation IPC which I want to install Linux on; does
> anyone know if they can use large hard drives? I have a disk at home lying
> spare, but I'm not sure if it will work. I might try it this weekend and
> report on my progress :-)

yes it will.  so long as it's a SCSI one, more precisely, a fast SCSI 2
i used to have a 9 gig hanging off the back of an LX, worked fine.

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk