[Gllug] Emacs open-new-frame problem.

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 21:50:48 UTC 2001

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Rich Walker gibbered:
> Emacs, KDE, ...

Neither knows about the other, so they should get on famously :)

> Emacs configured (somehow) to have yellow default text, black
> background for it. Works in font-lock-mode.

OK. (The configuration is probably done via

(set-face-background 'default "Black")
(set-face-foreground 'default "Yellow")

but there are other ways, especially in XEmacs, which has a ludicrous
degree of (over-)configurability where faces are concerned).

> However, opening a new frame results in black background for quite a
> lot of  text, and white background for the rest. Hugely annoying.

Ah, thank you RMS for `initial-frame-alist' versus
`default-frame-alist'...

> Anyone got any ideas? I guess it's an inconsistency between the X
> resources and the .emacs, but I just can't face the necessary hours
> of poking it...

Not necessarily. In any case, this is easily resolvable.

Try (as a horrible kludge) sticking in

(setq default-frame-alist initial-frame-alist)

--- (disclaimer; at some point, they changed to plists in XEmacs, but I
can't remember if this happened before or after the Emacs/XEmacs split;
they may be default-frame-plist and initial-frame-plist in your Emacs.)

--
`This will immediately become a flamewar.' --- Mark Mitchell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk