[Gllug] Re: LILO boot problem

rdrinkwater rdrinkwater at dial.pipex.com
Wed Jun 27 11:01:12 UTC 2001

Good morning all,

I am trying to fix a boot problem that has just (inexplicably) arisen.

Using Mandrake 8, kernel 2.4, Mylex raid with /boot on partition
/dev/rd/c0d0p5 with a text mode LILO boot and the BIOS boot set to boot
on SCSI.  System was working fine (as is an identical system alongside
it) and have re-booted it dozens of times with no probs.

Performed a normal closedown (init) no problems.  When it was powered
back up at the point that the LILO boot screen would be prompted the
letters "LI" appear on the bottom line and the system "dies".

Booting on floppy works ok and the rest of the sytem is intact.

Running lilo to generate a new boot (with lilo.conf unchanged) does not
solve the problem.

Help!!  Has anyone any thoughts how we can progress the investigation
further or is the only way to re-install linux from scratch.

All comments gratefully received.

Regards

Roy Drinkwater
EgO Computers