[Gllug] Broad Band Access

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 17:34:36 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 17:12, John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 16:50, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 04:27:49PM +0000, David Irvine wrote:
> >
> > > 1.  What is the law  about using wireless lan cards commercially.
> >
> > You can't with 802.11b or bluetooth (ie 2.4GHz):
> >
> > http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1999/19990930.htm
> > http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20001012.htm
> >
> > It states you can't use the frequancy by way of a business, which
>
> What Paul says is of course true.
>
> But I'd like to explore this a little further.
What about if you set up providing an internet service of some sorts,
lets call it  an internet gateway. You could provide it buy say Dial up,
via vpn, or via wireless lan, you don't actually charge for the wireless
lan access, you just make that an optional way of using the package.
Does that still class as using it to make money, since you wouldnt be
making  money on the wireless part, just on providing a glorified web
portal.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk