[Gllug] Gates, self proclaimed father of open-source

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 11:09:42 UTC 2001

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:24:53AM -0000, ae wrote:
> From SeattleTimes: "Gates said there's a role for free software alongside
> commercial software, but the open-source movement taken to its extreme would
> mean no software jobs or taxes paid by software companies, and it would mean

True: Open Source does have the ability to decimate the proprietary s/ware industry.
True: that will mean fewer programmer jobs (but that may be on the cards anyway)
False: no taxes. The money not paid to M$ will end up being spent by companies/... on
	other things - presumably leading to taxes elsewhere.

It is the last point which irritates me - a total lie.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk