[Gllug] hardware problems

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Nov 5 11:19:00 UTC 2001

On Saturday, 3 Nov 2001, Alain Williams wrote:
>It is a 1.4GHz athelon with 512Mb DDR ram, 266 MHz FSB. 3C905C
>network card (utp 100Mb).
[data corruption on sustained reads]

I am going to hazard a guess that you have an Asus A7V266. I have a
similar problem, although it manifested on sustained reads from the
SCSI discs; I have been able to replicate it with two A7V266s and two
different SCSI cards, an Asus SC875 (on the NCR53C875 chipset) and a
Tekram DC390U3W (also on a Symbios/NCR 8xx chipset.) I can also
suppress this problem by throttling the machine down to a lower clock
speed.

Ivan suggests that this may be a PCI latency issue; apparently Asus
had similar problems on the first VIA chipset 133MHz FSB
boards. Unfortunately, Asus USA are completely useless, and my Chinese
is rather rusty so I cannot speak to Asus Taiwan.

If you do not have the same motherboard, that suggests that the kernel
does not handle these high clock speeds gracefully. What version of
the kernel are you using?

Oddly, network transfers do not seem to be affected; I am using a card
based on the DEC 21140 'tulip' chipset.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk