[Gllug] hardware problems

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 13:03:56 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 11:19, David Damerell wrote:
> On Saturday, 3 Nov 2001, Alain Williams wrote:
> >It is a 1.4GHz athelon with 512Mb DDR ram, 266 MHz FSB. 3C905C
> >network card (utp 100Mb).
> [data corruption on sustained reads]
>
> I am going to hazard a guess that you have an Asus A7V266. I have a
> similar problem, although it manifested on sustained reads from the
> SCSI discs; I have been able to replicate it with two A7V266s and two
> different SCSI cards, an Asus SC875 (on the NCR53C875 chipset) and a
> Tekram DC390U3W (also on a Symbios/NCR 8xx chipset.) I can also
> suppress this problem by throttling the machine down to a lower clock
> speed.
>
> Ivan suggests that this may be a PCI latency issue; apparently Asus
> had similar problems on the first VIA chipset 133MHz FSB
> boards. Unfortunately, Asus USA are completely useless, and my Chinese
> is rather rusty so I cannot speak to Asus Taiwan.

babelfish.altavista.co.uk can change to various asian languages, you may
wish to try that, its worked a treat when talking to support centers
when you dont speak a word of the language. YMMV.

> If you do not have the same motherboard, that suggests that the kernel
> does not handle these high clock speeds gracefully. What version of
> the kernel are you using?
>
> Oddly, network transfers do not seem to be affected; I am using a card
> based on the DEC 21140 'tulip' chipset.

I have also found this unexpected non-problem, copying large amounts of
files over the network doesnt cause the problem but copying the files
between hard disks locally  does, especially with larger files and put
it down to a higher load on  the ide/scsi controller.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk