[Gllug] slightly OT: laptop advice

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Tue Nov 20 10:18:32 UTC 2001

Hi Steve,

we use them here at work iBooks and OS X is a nice combination if you don'
t want a Linux Kernel but do want an X environment you can drop Aqua (the
OS X desktop) and run X instead and have Bash Csh or what ever as your
Shell.

OS X has just reached 10.1.1 and is now a very stable and smooth OS,
updates are by cron but they do require a reboot!!!

There is a load of BSD stuff you can use with out any trouble and the BDS
ports system works well with Darwin.

Big draw backs are no Open office only M$ office 10 as far as I know.

If you can afford it you may want to look at some of the old Titanium
Power Books, they have dropped in price since the new releases and there
functionality is even more impressive fire wire etc.

I say if you like it go for it if you really don't get on with OS X you
can always install DEbian PPC or Yellow Dog Linux.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk