[Gllug] problems with Athlon cpu

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 20:26:17 UTC 2001

I've tried to install two linux distros (Debian and
SuSE) on an extra  box to be used to learn some
programing. Normally, I have no problems installing
Linux. This box has an Athlon 900MHz processor on a
Jetway 663AS Motherboard. I worked through areas that
might be causing the problems (changing Graphics card,
Sound card, RAM, going to a single IDE Hard drive etc)
and am now left with the MB,the CPU or the PSU as the
possible villains. Both distros fail around the format
of partitions stage.

There are references to "AMD compliant PSU's" and
suggestions that this is a 'difficult' area, but no
clear explanations, so I'm not sure of the way
forward.

Out of curiosity, I tried to install Win98 and
found no problems in doing so - there are no obvious
difficulties in running that OS.

Does anyone have experience of power supply problems
with Linux and Athlon processors? Or any suggestions
as to what could be bedevilling me?

Grateful for any assistance.

Regards,   John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk