[Gllug] Changing machine's IP address

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 09:11:31 UTC 2001

Hopefully there's a simple answer to this:

I've got a webserver that at the moment is on a private network with a
192.168.0.4 IP address.
In a few days I'm taking it to a co-location (Black Cat) where it will
have a "real" fixed IP address (which I know).

The question is, do I have to change the IP address that the machine has
just before I turn it off for the last time before moving it? And is the
only place I have to change in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0? I think we just have to plug
it in and leave, no time for fiddling around with it.

What about netmasks and broadcast addresses and things like that? (It's
just a single machine on its own)
I thought about changing the IP address now to test it out but would
that cause problems with DNS lookups and things?

Are there any other "gotchas" that I need to be aware of?

--
Paul Brazier
Cosmos UK

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk