[Gllug] Changing machine's IP address

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Fri Nov 2 09:27:16 UTC 2001

>The question is, do I have to change the IP address that the machine has
>just before I turn it off for the last time before moving it? And is the
>only place I have to change in
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0?

Yep.

>What about netmasks and broadcast addresses and things like that?
>(It's just a single machine on its own)

Specify them in ifcfg-eth0, just as you do with IP address. Or are you
asking what they should be? If so, you can get this information from
whoever allocated you the IP address (or they're both derivable from
the size of the subnet, if you know that). Remember you'll need to know
the default gateway for your new subnet, too, otherwise your box isn't
going to be communicating with much else...

>I thought about changing the IP address now to test it out but would
>that cause problems with DNS lookups and things?

No, it should be fine. The chances are that you won't be able to see
anything else on the network until you move it to your colo location,
but you can check that the IP address comes up OK. Just change
/etc/sysconfig/network and ifcfg-eth0 as appropriate and then do

	service network restart

and check the settings with "ifconfig -a" and "netstat -rn".

Tet

PS. For the debian people, ifcfg-eth0 is a RedHat-ism.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk