[Gllug] More Microsoft FUD

Dave Cridland [RedWire] dcridland at redwire.com
Wed Nov 7 16:38:22 UTC 2001

I'm sure we're all well aware that Microsoft don't really like Linux all
that much, and would like to compare their product in a favourable
light.

That's fine, and I entirely agree with their mentality.

However, I work in the Server Appliance Development sector, a relatively
new(ish) sector, which Microsoft has just woken up to.

Since they've just released their SAK - Server Appliance Kit - they've
noticed that people have been creating Server Appliances in Linux for
some time.

Sun-Cobalt, Pyramid Computer Systeme, and others have been quite happy
using Linux as their platform of choice for some time, as have numerous
others.

So Microsoft, rather than analysing why this is the case, have simply
produced a somewhat Halloween-like article rubbishing Linux. Again.

I've spotted a series of untruths in this already - several comparisons
are with old versions of Linux.

As normal, Microsoft do not use the trademark, and constantly
misinterpret, often deliberately, the difference between the kernel and
a typical Linux distribution. They're also hell-bent on confusing the
reader as to whether anything they develop on a Linux platform has to be
Open Source or not.

The document is in Word format, on
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/docs/sakcomp.doc

As part of my work, I'm formulating a response.

If there's enough interest, I feel that a considered response from the
community as a whole would be of benefit, if we can find a sensible
place to put it, and I'll happily "donate" my work-in-progress towards
such an effort, with the glorious blessings of my employer.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland, Head of Development (Linux)
RedWire Ltd

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk